If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

How to get your private security guard company license

The Security Guard application has changed. The applications are now in 4 categories: Initial, Renewal, Transfer/Rehire, and Duplicate License request. To prevent delays in processing your application, ensure you're using the correct application for the transaction type you want to complete.

Who needs a license?

Any business that provides security guard services on contract.


  • All company owners, partners or qualifying agents must be:
    • At least 21 years old
    • A United States citizen or resident alien
  • You must have:
    • No criminal convictions that directly relate to your capacity to perform the duties of a private security guard and/or hinders public safety. (See Recommended sanctions for details about criminal convictions)
    • A physical location of the business within Washington
    • A valid business license with the Department of Revenue

How to apply

  1. Submit all of the following:
    • A completed Private Security Guard Company/Qualifying Principal License Application
    • The non-refundable application fee
    • Proof of 3 years of experience as a manager, supervisor, or administrator in a security guard business or related field. An examination will be scheduled within 3 weeks of receipt of a paid application if no experience is provided.
    • A certificate of liability insurance with minimum coverage of $25,000 bodily injury and $25,000 property damage.
  2. Get fingerprinted for state and national background checks.
    • Inside Washington: Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, our electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
    • Outside Washington: Call the Security Guard program at 360.664.6611 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
    • For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.

For veterans

U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification

Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website