Our website is getting a new look! Coming Summer 2023 – stay tuned!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Renew your driver license

Skip a trip and renew online

Log in or join to find out if you can renew your license online.

You'll need to renew at a driver licensing office if you:

  • Are 70+ years old
  • Need to pass the vision screening
  • Need a new photo taken
  • Renewed online on your last expiration

Renewal options

Is your address current?

Your home address is on your license. Make sure it's updated. If needed, change your address before you renew.

When can I renew?

You can renew up to:

  • 1 year before your license expires. It usually expires on your birthday.
  • or
  • 60 days after it's expired. We won’t charge a late fee, but you could get a ticket or fine from law enforcement.

If your license expired over:

For military personnel

You don't need to renew during the term of your military service if you're:

  • A member of the armed forces or National Guard on active duty.
  • A reservist called to duty for 180 days or more.
  • The spouse or dependent of an active member of the military.

Your license remains valid as long as you're on active duty. For more information, see Military personnel.


A standard license costs $9 per year to renew. You may renew for 6 ($54) or 8 years ($72). Calculate your fees based on:

  • Your endorsements.
  • Whether you’re upgrading to an enhanced card.
  • Whether you’re renewing late.
  • Whether you choose the 6- or 8-year renewal option.

What if I haven't received my driver license yet?

If you don't get it after 30 days, call us at 360.902.3900 (TTY: call 711).

Are you a twin or triplet?

When you get your driver license or ID card, we may ask if you’re a twin or triplet. Answering this question is voluntary.

We share this information with the Washington State Twin Registry. The Registry will contact you and ask if you’d like to join the Twin Registry. Learn more about the program on the Washington State Twin Registry website.

I received a renewal notice or other correspondence for someone who's deceased, what should I do?

You can ignore the notice or send us a copy of the death certificate by:

  • Fax: 360.570.7034
  • Mail:
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9030
    Olympia, WA 98507

The death certificate is issued by the county medical examiner or coroner. After it's issued, the Department of Health notifies us - this can take several months. As soon as we receive the notice, we'll update their record. This should stop all future correspondence.

You don't have to return the person's license or ID card. You can keep it as a memento if you wish or discard it.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon