Learn the requirements and how to apply for a license to operate a cosmetology school.
Who needs a license?
Anyone who operates an establishment in Washington that offers instruction in cosmetology, barbering, esthetics, manicuring, hair design, master esthetics, or instructor-trainee to students.
How to apply
Follow the steps below to get your cosmetology or postsecondary school license.
1. File with the Department of Revenue
File a business license application with the Department of Revenue (DOR) to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number. Once you receive your UBI you can apply for your license.
2. Gather required documents
- Cosmetologist, Hair Designer, Barber, Manicurist, Esthetician, or Master Esthetician School Surety Bond. The surety bond must be no less than $10,000 or 10% of the annual gross tuition collected by the school, whichever is greater. Not to exceed $50,000.
Documents to have on hand:
- Lease agreement
- School's enrollment agreement/contract
- School's catalog and curriculum for each course
- School's student monthly activity reports for each course
- Student financial aid notification certification form
- Liability insurance
- Signed fire inspection report from the local fire authority indicating all requirements have been met
- Current floor plan of school
- Documentation of directors' or administrators' business administration experience
3. Submit your application
You can submit your application online or by mail.
Submit your application online
Get your license faster by applying and paying online!
Don't have a SAW account? Learn how to create a SAW account.
Submit your application by mail
Mail your form(s) and a check or money order for the license fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3856
Seattle, WA 98124-3856
Post your license
You must post your school licenses in the reception area of the school.
Get email updates
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the latest rule changes, licensing updates, and board notices by email.