Get information about court reporter exams, grading criteria, permitted transcribing tools, and find out when and where to take the exam.
One of the ways you can get a court reporter certificate is by passing the Washington State court reporter exam.
About the exam
The exam includes:
- 2-minute warm-up segment (not required for transcription)
- 2 voice question and answer testimonies given at 200 words per minute. Each testimony is 7 minutes long and you must transcribe at least 1 testimony.
- You may choose to use the computers at the test site or your own transcription equipment.
- Test site software includes Microsoft Word for Windows.
- Computer disks will not be provided.
- The test site will be staffed with technicians for assistance.
You'll be graded on a consecutive 5-minute segment of the testimony you choose to transcribe. The passing score is 95% accuracy.
Date and time: To be determined
Application deadline: To be determined
Location: To be determined
How to schedule your exam
Currently, we are not scheduling exams.
Get email updates
Join our court reporter mailing list to get the latest licensing updates and rule changes by email. There's no cost to subscribe and you can unsubscribe at any time.