Learn how to get your license to buy, receive, and process scrap metal.
Who needs a license?
You must have a scrap metal processor license if you:
- Buy or receive non-vehicle scrap metal, and
- Have a shredder or a hydraulic baler and shears to process scrap metal at a fixed location
This license doesn't allow you to handle scrap metal from titled or registered vehicles. You must instead apply for a motor vehicle salvage processor license to process scrap metal from vehicles.
How to apply
Follow the steps below to apply for a scrap metal processor license.
1. Get approved by your local authority
You must complete a Scrap Metal License Addendum and have your local authority approve and sign it.
Request vehicle plates
You can also use the addendum to request vehicle plates for your scrap metal business. Any vehicle you use for business must have a plate.
2. Gather the required forms
In addition to your license addendum, you must include these forms with your application:
- Business License Application
- Personal/Criminal History Statement
- Scrap Metal Business Bond
- Weighing and Measuring Devices Addendum
- If your business is a profit corporation, complete a Corporate Information form
- If your business is a limited liability company, complete a Limited Liability Company Information form
3. Submit your application
You must pay the scrap metal processor license and plate fees when you apply. Choose the method that works best for you.
Apply for your license online
You'll receive your license faster by applying and paying online.
Apply online at the Department of Revenue's website.
Apply for your license by mail
Mail your approved license addendum, completed forms, and a check or money order for the license and plate fees (payable to the Department of Revenue) to:
State of Washington
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Licenses for multiple locations
If you have more than one business location, you must submit a separate application for each of them.
When your license expires
Your license expires after 1 year. Your scrap metal processor license will expire the same day as your business license. We may change your license fees so the expiration date on your license matches those on your other business licenses.
Vehicle plate expiration
Your vehicle plates expire the same day as your business license.
- Get your license: Motor vehicle salvage processor (license to process scrap metal from vehicles)
- Change your name or address: Scrap metal businesses
- Scrap metal recyclers
- Scrap metal suppliers