Is your driver license expiring soon? Renew your license online!
Limited in-person appointments available. Learn more.
Apply for a first-time instruction permit online.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Temporary permits: Military personnel

How to apply

You can get a temporary vehicle permit if you buy a vehicle while serving as a nonresident military personnel.

  1. Visit a vehicle licensing office.
  2. Submit a Non-Resident Military Affidavit for Exemption of Excise Tax.
    • Sign and notarize the form. The signatures can be notarized by a notary public or an active-duty commissioned officer. If the officer's signature, rank, and branch of service appear on the document as a notary, no further proof is needed.
  3. Provide at least 1 as proof you've applied for registration outside of Washington:
    • Out-of-state application.
    • Letter of request.
    • Notarized or certified statement of fact, stating you've applied for an out-of-state title or registration.

How a temporary permit can be used

The permit allows you to use the vehicle in Washington while you apply for out-of-state registration. The permit:

  • Is valid for 45 days
  • and
  • Must be displayed on the vehicle so it's visible from the outside.

Nonresident military personnel are:

  • Active-duty members of the United States:
    • Coast Guard (includes personnel living in Washington who are on duty in the Portland),
    • Army,
    • Navy,
    • Marines, and
    • Air Force.
  • Members of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Agency (NOAA).
  • Commissioned officers of the public health service.
  • Members of foreign military organizations assigned to Washington on official duty.

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website