New state-wide mandate requires masks to visit our offices. Learn more.
Appointments are required for in-person services. Schedule yours now.
Get the latest COVID guidance for businesses.

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Register a boat

When to register your boat

You must title and register your boat in Washington State:

  • Within 60 days of moving to Washington with the boat.
  • Within 15 days of buying the boat, if you live in Washington and bought the boat in another state.

Registration requirements

Unless specifically exempt, you must meet all Washington state registration requirements when using a documented vessel on Washington waters. This means you must register your boat in Washington:

  • Within 60 days of moving to Washington with the vessel.
  • Within 15 days of buying the vessel, if bought it in another state and you live in Washington.

Exempt vessels

  • Military vessels
  • Public vessels of the United States or the American Red Cross.
  • Vessels owned by a state, county, or city and used for governmental purposes.
  • Vessels with a marine document as a vessel of the United States that are primarily engaged in commerce, including:
    • Tugs
    • Barges
    • Charter vessels (bare vessel charters or timeshare vessels)
  • Vessels issued a United States Customs Service Cruising License or registered in another country.
    • Vessel is exempt from registration only for the first 60 days of use.
    • On or before the 61st day of use on Washington waters, the owner must obtain a vessel visitor permit as required under RCW 88.02.610.
  • A vessel primarily engaged in commerce that is owned by a resident of a country other than the United States.
  • Vessels registered in another state.
    • Vessel is exempt from registration only for the first 60 days of use.
    • On or before the 61st day of use on Washington state waters, the owner must obtain a nonresident vessel permit as required under RCW 88.02.620.
    • If the principal place of use changes to Washington, the vessel must be registered in Washington.
  • Canoes, kayaks, or vessels that don't have a motor or sail (strictly human powered).
  • Vessels with propulsion machinery that:
    • Draw 250 watts or less, and
    • Propel the vessel no faster than 10 miles per hour, and
    • Are not used on waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States or the high seas beyond the territorial seas for vessels owned in the United States.
  • Vessels owned by a nonresident in Washington exclusively for repairs, alteration, or reconstruction.
    • An employee of the repair facility providing these services must be on board the vessel during any testing.
    • The owner must file an affidavit with the Department of revenue by the 61st day to verify the vessel is being serviced.
    • The affidavit must be filed every 60 days thereafter, as long as the vessel is located upon the waters.
  • Vessels less than 16 feet long with a motor of 10 horsepower or less, if used on non-federal waters only.
  • Tenders 10 HP or less used for direct transportation between a registered vessel and the shore and for no other purpose. The tender must display the number of the registered vessel followed by the suffix "1".
  • Vessels 30 ft. or longer purchased by a nonresident that has purchased a use permit issued under RCW 82.08.700 or 82.12.700.
  • Vessels held for sale by a licensed dealer.
  • Vessels used exclusively for commercial fishing must be listed with Washington State Department of Revenue.

How to register your boat

To title and register your boat in Washington:

  1. Provide all of the following:
    • A completed Vessel Title Application.
      • If you bought the boat at a dealer, they'll complete this form for you.)
    • Your current out-of-state registration.
    • The out-of-state title or, if there is a lien holder, a photocopy of the out-of-state title.
    • Proof you paid sales tax on the boat.
      • If you don't have proof that you paid sales tax when you purchased it, you'll be required to pay use tax.
    • A check or money order payable to the Department of Licensing to pay the fees.
  2. Submit your completed application, supporting documents, and fees:

If your vessel is documented with the U.S. Coast Guard, there are special registration requirements. For details, see Documented vessels.

Decals and registration

When you've registered your boat, you'll get your registration and a set of decals with the assigned registration number (WN#). You'll also get Vessel Registration Number Instructions showing how to properly display the registration number and decals on your boat

  • If you register by mail, you'll get them in the mail.
  • If you register at an office, the licensing agent will give them to you before you leave.

Long term moorage (over 30 days)

If you moor your vessel over 30 days, you must provide proof of vessel registration, a written statement of intent to register your vessel, or complete Vessel Registration Exemption form and give it to the moorage provider.

Clean your boat before you float

To prevent the spread of aquatic nuisance species, decontaminate your boat, trailer, and gear before entering Washington. For details, see Aquatic invasive species (Department of Fish and Wildlife).

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website