Learn what the requirements are and how to apply for an HOV exempt decal if you operate a nonemergency medical transportation vehicle.
The owner of a for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle may apply for a high occupancy vehicle (HOV) exempt decal which allows the vehicle to use an HOV lane from July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2025.
Description of a nonemergency HOV
A for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle is a vehicle that has a use class “for-hire”. That vehicle must provide nonemergency medical transportation, including life-sustaining needs of:
Individuals traveling to medical practices and clinics
- Cancer centers
- Dialysis facilities
- Other care providers
HOV exempt decal requirements
The owner of a for-hire nonemergency medical transportation vehicle or the owner’s representative may apply for an exemption decal on a Nonemergency HOV Exemption Decal Application form. The application must include:
- The name and address of person who is the owner of the vehicle.
- Full description of the vehicle including make, model, year, and VIN.
- The main purpose for which the vehicle is used.
- An attestation that the vehicle’s owner has a minimum of one contract or service agreement to provide for-hire transportation services for medical purposes with one or more of the following entities:
- Health insurance company
- Dialysis center
- Other medical institution
- Daycare center
- Retirement home
- Group home
- Federal, state, or local agency or jurisdiction
- A broker who negotiates for these services on behalf of one or more of these entities
Nonemergency HOV fees
|License service fee||$0.50|
|License plate technology fee||$0.25|
|HOV-exempt decal fee||$5|
|Total fees||$18.25 per vehicle|
Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total fees if you're conducting an additional transaction for the vehicle.
Submit your application and payment
Submit your payment and completed Nonemergency HOV Exemption Decal Application form by:
- Bringing your documents to a vehicle licensing office or
- Mailing your documents to:
Special Plate Unit
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-5800