Learn how to renew and update your taxi and for-hire vehicle license and see what documents to have ready to submit.
Things to know
- Vehicle certificates expire in 1 year
- You can renew 120 days before they expire
You must comply with all applicable laws and rules, even if they're not covered below.
How to renew
You can renew online or by mail. Review the below information for what to submit.
What you'll need
- A valid email address, if you'd like your vehicle certificates emailed to you for faster service
- If adding vehicles, supporting documents shown below, ready for upload
- MasterCard, Visa, or American Express credit/debit card (transaction fee charged) or bank account information for E-check for applicable BLS fees and vehicle certificate and taxi meter fees
You can renew online with the Department of Revenue.
Renew by mail
Follow the instructions on your renewal letter. If you did not receive a renewal letter, contact Business Licensing Service at 360-705-6741. Have your Unified Business Identification (UBI) number ready.
Supporting documents for your renewal
If you are adding vehicles you will need a copy of your vehicle registration certificates for added primary vehicle use types of "For Hire", "Taxi" or "Cab". (See sample registration.)
You will need an updated certificate of liability insurance to show added vehicles.* The certificate must show:
- Insurance company name (approved to do business in Washington)
- Policy number
- Name of insured (owner name) and operating name (DBA/trade name)
- Coverage effective and expiration dates
- $325,000 minimum combined single limit coverage or $300,000/$100,000/$25,000 split limit coverage
- Year, make and VIN of each car (VIN must match the registration)
- Certificate holder box shows: State of Washington, Department of Licensing, PO Box 9039, Olympia, WA 98507-9039
After you renew
After we receive all the correct documents, we will send your license to the address on file within 14 business days. If you provided an email address, your vehicle certificates will be emailed to you.