Renew your tabs
Starting January 1, 2023, vehicle registrations allow the removal of your address. New registrations have your address located on the bottom. There's a dotted line showing where to cut it. This is optional and intended to provide address privacy in case of theft.
Your tab renewal options
- without logging in
- (What is License eXpress?) to renew and save your information for next time
- By mail, if you got our letter
- In-person at a
How can I estimate my fees?
When do I need to renew my tabs?
Tabs expire every year.
To see when they're due, look at your license plate for the expiration month and year. You can also check your License eXpress account – it'll show you the month, day, and year they expire. It will show the address and email addresses we have for your vehicles.
Do you want to get renewal reminders?
- By email. Sign up, update or remove your email reminders.
- By mail. Please keep your address updated to receive them.
What might I need to do before or when I renew?
- If you've recently moved, update your address. Use your License eXpress account to see what addresses we have on file.
- See other possible requirements.
- Pay any possible tickets or .
Donations and other options when you renew:
- You'll have the option to donate to:
- Purchase options:
- Discover Pass - $30
How long does it take to get my tabs?
- By mail, within 5 business days. If you don't get them within:
If you don't get the tabs you purchased, contact a vehicle licensing location. We may be able to send a replacement, at no cost, if you meet these requirements:
- We verify that we issued the tabs, but you haven't received them within 15-90 days.
- We have your current mailing address.
- Return the original tabs to any vehicle licensing office, if they're ever found.
Registered owners may authorize a representative to purchase and pick up a vehicle or vessel registration and plates. The authorized representative must present a valid photo ID and:
- A Power of Attorney
- A written permission, such as a note or check containing the following information:
- Name and signature of the registered owners, and
- Plate number, VIN, registration number, or HIN
If the person purchasing/picking up has the same last name or address as your customer on their photo ID, written authorization is not necessary.
Public disclosure laws require proof of identity whenever personally identifiable information is provided.
A business owner or representative picking up registration documents for an online or mail in renewal must provide the office with a reasonable connection to that business. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Business card with photo ID
- Signed letter on business letterhead
- Attire with business logo
- Phone call from business
Are you part of the military or uniformed services?
If you're stationed outside of Washington when your tabs expire, you may be able to get a new expiration date.
If your current tabs expired less than 12 months ago, we'll give you a new full year registration period. Apply for a new registration period through a vehicle licensing location:
- By mail - Send all items below to an office of your choice:
- Your tab renewal notice
- Copy of your military orders
- Check/money order payable to DOL
Can I deduct any of my fees from my federal taxes?
Regional Transit Authority (RTA) Motor Vehicle Excise Tax and Watercraft Excise Tax may be deductible. Check with your tax advisor.
- WA residents stationed outside the state: Vehicles & boats
- Is your address inside the RTA?
- Pay outstanding balance