New law raises plate fees starting July 1, 2022

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Commercial Driver License (CDL) disqualifications

When can a CDL be suspended, revoked, or disqualified?

What do I need to do if my CDL is suspended, revoked, canceled, or disqualified?

  • Notify your employer:
    • If your commercial driver license is suspended, revoked, or canceled; or if you're disqualified from operating a commercial vehicle. This must be completed before the end of the business day following the day of the notice.
    • In writing, of all traffic convictions within 30 days of the conviction. This includes convictions related to your private automobile as well as a commercial vehicle.
  • Notify the Department of Licensing in writing, of all out-of-state traffic convictions within 30 days of the conviction. Complete an Out-of-State Traffic Conviction Report for each conviction and send to:
    Citations Unit
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9030
    Olympia, Washington 98507-9030

What happens if I have an out-of-state CDL?

If you have a CDL from a state other than Washington and lose your privilege to drive a commercial vehicle in Washington, you can't:

  • Get a Washington CDL until you have re-qualified in this state.
  • Drive a commercial vehicle in Washington, even with a license from another state.

We'll also notify your home state, and they may take action against your driver license.

Can I get a restricted driver license while my CDL is suspended?

You can't get an Occupational/Restricted License (ORL) to drive a commercial motor vehicle. However, you may apply for one to operate a non-commercial motor vehicle. For more information, see Restricted driver licenses.

Implied consent — Refusing to test

Any person who holds a CDL is deemed to have consented to any testing required by any state or jurisdiction. Driving a commercial motor vehicle implies consent. (See federal rule 49 CFR 383.72.)

If any level of alcohol is detected, law enforcement can place a commercial driver out-of-service for 24 hours. It's illegal to operate a commercial vehicle with any alcohol in your system.

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon
Washington Healthcare Finder
Good To Go!
Access Washington – official state government website